This website is owned and operated by Australian Auto Network Ltd Trading as ‘Sydneycars’. This document will also use the abbreviation ‘AAN’ for Australian Auto Network Ltd’s trading name.
Sydneycars is committed to ensuring that that we will protect your privacy at all times. Therefore, if we ask you to provide certain personal information, you can be assured that the information gathered will be used according to this privacy statement.
Australian Auto Network Ltd (AAN) may change this policy from time to time by updating its website pages. Therefore it’s worth checking this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from Friday, 26 February 2021.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- We will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone.
- Australian Auto Network Ltd may send personally identifiable information about you to other companies or people when:
- We have your consent to share the information;
- We need to share your information to provide the product or service you have requested;
- We need to send the information to companies who work on behalf of Australian Auto Network Ltd to provide a product or service to you.
- (Unless we tell you differently, these companies do not have any right to use the personally identifiable information we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us.)
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders or a legal process that need your personal information.
The company will pass on your information to legal entities if we find that your actions on our web sites violate the Australian Auto Network Terms of Service.
The information we collect
We may collect the following information from any of our platforms. The kinds of personal information we collect and store will depend on what products and services you request from us. However, it may include (amongst other things):
- Name and job title
- Contact information, including email address
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests additional information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- the personal information you give us when you make a rental booking or request a product or service from us. This information may include your name, address, telephone numbers, email address, credit card details, passport details, intended travel dates, place of departure, intended destination and whether you are an adult or a child
- communications between you and us
- transactional information about your use of our products and services; and if you are applying for a position, we will collect information as outlined in the section below titled “Employment Applications”.
- by our security surveillance cameras
- by electronic systems such as applications
- vehicle tracking through a global positioning system and telematics to monitor your vehicle’s location, usage, and servicing, including your speed, time, fuel consumption, distances travelled, and places visited.
Additional uses of the information collected
Bookings: When you book a product, request a quote, pick up a vehicle or check-in, we will ask you for the personal information we need to give you what you want. The information includes your name, contact details (email, address and telephone number), date of birth, drivers licence, passport, payment information and information about you and other drivers or other people you are travelling with your group.
We need this information to provide you with products and services you have booked and to carry out our obligations relating to contracts between us or between you any third party.
CCTV: Where you see signs at any of our physical locations telling you that CCTV cameras are in operation, we collect CCTV footage of our employees and customers. We need this information to ensure the safety of our property and employees.
Customer reviews: We may use your contact information to send you a short survey about your experience with us. We also monitor and use customer reviews on review websites and social media. These help us understand and improve our service and products.
Travel agents: We may also collect your personal information through trusted parties such as travel agents to provide you with the products and services you have booked and carry out our obligations related to these bookings.
Marketing activities: Australian Auto Network Ltd may also collect your personal information for marketing activities through marketing and analytical services. We may use such personal data for marketing activities, as permitted by law. Here are some examples to consider:
- To contact you by email with information on updates, special offers, discounts or promotions or competitions. You will have consented when you agree as part of the booking process. You can opt-out at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” in the email.
- Based on the information you share with us, you may see personalised mobile apps or third-party websites, including social media sites.
Public safety and fraud prevention: We may use personal information to detect and prevent fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities, including preventing unsafe or unlawful drivers from hiring, buying or selling vehicles.
Improving our services: We use personal information for analytical purposes, to improve our services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our websites.
Debt collection: Collecting any debts you may owe us (we may also pass your details on to a third-party debt collection agency).
Fines/tolls: To transfer any fines, tolls or penalties we have received about your vehicle hire into your name, we will send your personal information to fine and toll processing companies and the relevant local authority or government agency.
Damage claims: Processing any damage or excess reduction claims, insurance claims, fines, tolls or penalties concerning your use of our products or services.
Training: For our staff, monitoring and improving our products, services, websites, applications and devices and, and maintaining our systems.
Research: We may, from time to time, aggregate and anonymise customer information to use ourselves or to provide to third parties for research, data analysis, statistical or other purposes.
Public information: We may also collect and use personal information publicly available, for example, through social media, public directories or review websites. We use this information to improve our services.
Employment applications: If you apply for a job with us, we will need some of your personal information as part of the process of working out if you are the right person for our companies.
What we do with the information collected
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with better service. We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities, which include, amongst other things:
- processing your rental bookings and sales orders
- being aware of any special travel requirements you may have
- providing you with confirmation of your booking/order and advising you of any changes to your itinerary
- confirming your identity when you check-in
- addressing any feedback or complaints you may have
- assisting Customs and Immigration officials
- answering any queries you may have
- Internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers, or other information we think you may find interesting using the email address you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to update the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have placed suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We use a secure SSL connection (Secure Socket Layer) to protect this information for all transactions involving personal details. This encryption technology ensures that your details cannot be viewed or intercepted by third parties during the transfer process, making it even safer than making a booking over the phone.
A cookie is a small file that asks permission placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We may use traffic log cookies to identify which pages of the website has traffic. This information helps us analyse web page traffic and improve our website to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes, and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better online experience by monitoring which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer.
This website uses Google Analytics (www.analytics.google.com) to collect visitor behaviour data. The data is collected anonymously and could become part of the marketing and optimisation mix for AUN.
All visitor data will be stored using an anonymous user ID to aggregate a usage profile. Our company will not use the data to identify a visitor personally.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not control that other website.
Therefore, we cannot be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information you provide whilst visiting such sites. This privacy statement does not govern such sites.
You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to any website you visit online.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- When you are filling in a form on any of the websites indicating that you do not want the information that anybody can use for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email protected]
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission. Other examples are when the government requests information relating to an investigation, such as a traffic officer, and requested by law. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties, which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information that we hold about you as governed by Australia’s laws. An administration fee will be payable to cover staff time to collate this information. If you would like a copy of the information held on you, please write to this address. 11-15 Clevedon Street, Botany, 2019, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
If you have a complaint about how we have dealt with your personal information, please contact us via our helpline email to speak with our Privacy Officer. Our team will do all we can to make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests.
HOW TO ACCESS & CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can request a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us at [email protected]
To keep your information safe, we may ask for further information to confirm your identity. If you spot any mistakes in your personal information, please email our team. Remember you can “opt-out” from:
- marketing and sales emails by clicking “unsubscribe” in any of these emails;
You can contact our privacy officer at [email protected] or our head office at 11-15 Clevedon Street, Botany, Sydney, 2019, NSW, Australia.
CHANGE IN POLICY
Extra section regarding Employment Applications
The type of personal information we collect about you is the information included in your application, for example, your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, career history, education details or other information relating to your career.
When considering an application, we may also obtain personal information about you from third parties, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees.
We may also collect sensitive information about you, such as information about your health (including any disability) or any criminal record that you may have.
We collect personal information for any one or more of the following purposes:
- Assess your ability for a position or positions with any of our companies
- Assess whether you are suitable to progress to each stage of the recruitment process for a vacant position
- Store your information for future job opportunities.
If you do not provide us with the information we seek, we will be unable to do one or more of the above. We may disclose your personal information to:
- organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests
- referees or previous employers
- recruitment agencies or related entities acting on our behalf;
- our related entities
- law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record or educational or vocational organisations to the extent necessary to verify your qualifications.
If third party contractors perform services for us, which involves handling personal information. In that case, we will take reasonable steps to prohibit the contractor from using personal information except for its original purpose.
Buying a used car – Ask us a question